Our scriptures of Knowledge – Vedas
My Sojourn through an alley of Life
Today I wanted to touch a topic which always fascinated me since childhood…Its about our Vedas…. [Indian ancient scriptures]…I am going to present these in parts since I felt as I post each blog, I might find something new. So let me start with Prelude.
Prelude – My View
I talk a lot, mostly questions…as a child, I used to ask my mom why and how for almost everything she said/asked me to do…. She was very intelligent you see…. she had answers for every damn question I asked…few of the questions are like – why do we need to put turmeric on the entrance of the house (door gadapa as we call in telugu)?? Why do we wash vegetables/soak them in salt water first?? Why do we add turmeric to food?? – At that time, I really had these questions…it was not so obvious for me to understand as it is now…My mom, gave me reasons to almost every ritual and tradition we perform…. that mainly gave me the trust, respect and still keeps me following our tradition…. and now as I grow I am really understanding stuff strengthening my beliefs. Of course, I was lucky to be the daughter of such a intelligent and scientific mom which gave me base to build what I am today. So, This is my attempt of discovery of these scriptures and wanted to share with people of similar interests if I understand and get to know new things.
I am inexperienced and many may find this attempt to be futile and failure but whether I succeed or not I am sure my journey would be worth it J
Now what do I see Vedas as?
To me, they are scriptures written down by scholars citing and preserving their discoveries, lifestyles (both theirs and improvements they predict)!!
On date today, as my journey to explore more starts…I see them as a source and way of “EDUCATION”…a group of scriptures saved and passed for next generations to come…
A guide to lead a better life – culture/tradition
· A source to understand Nature –science
· An account of discoveries made, and a collection of principles assumed/proved in this QUEST of understanding Nature (at that time)
· A treatise on how wonderful Mother Nature is and how men (and women) surrender to Her in sheer wonder and fascination.
· An account of civilised world then – history
· A science of understanding HUMAN – medicine, psychology
· A Philosophy of Life – purpose
· A melody of Life – MUSIC
To me, there are not mere slokas and mantras…they are bundle of all knowledge our ancestors had and wanted to pass to future generations and us…
I do not see them as just valid for Indians or to be followed by Indians….Its something human kind could follow if understood properly …..I still rely on common sense than blindly following just because its been followed by a crowd…. that keeps us human still.
But I feel its worth taking some time in understanding them and their purpose. I may end up in contradicting myself as I move along the journey or may get firmer on my beliefs!! I also am aware of the fact that some of our traditions passed from previous generations are not interpreted properly and are distorted to become superstitions, which is sad really!! Lets see how it goes J
Hope I have the sources and make time to continue this journey, for I know not my destination and I know not how much time I need! I am just moving along and recording things as I find and understand…. wish me luck guys J
This series of posts are truly personal and just my views and understanding…. definitely not intended to offend anyone and not intended to attract attention….
Then why I am posting it on my blog???
Ya you make ask why do u want to use blog?? My answer is –
- I am using my blog as a platform to get good ideas and various perspectives from fellow readers. I may be biased but discussions and comments might give a new way of looking at things!
- Its like my online journal – makes me stick to write it in a better way – both in organisation and the language of the posts.
- Might interest fellow readers who like me wanted to know more about these scriptures. If I now something why not share?
- It makes me more motivated to keep things updated if its organised like this.
- Use as my WIKI – What I Know Is – on this topic
I may remove it from blog if I things get worse…I may make them private also …hope the need doesn’t arise…
Welcome to be a part of the sojourn – if you would like to J